Project Truck Thread..updated pics as I go

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com
Re: Project Truck Thread..updated pics as I go

Nice progress as always Jimmy!!
Thanks!

What did you do to tighten the bed gap up it looks damn good.
Since I redid all the bed mounts and rear suspension I allowed some wiggle room to shift the bed forward about 1.25". You don't notice how big that gap is until you get rid of it, it really makes a difference.

What year impala rear end did you use? Is it a pain to switch them out?
I think it was 94-96. If you are welding on new mounts for a 4 link it isnt really any more work than using a stock rear end. Not sure what it would take if you were keeping an existing suspension, maybe some new leaf perches and shock mounts. There isnt any common suspension components between impala and fsc.

:thud: I WILL SEE THIS TRUCK IN PERSON at some point in my life. Phenomenal progress, Jimmy. :thumbup:
Thanks! If I can keep making progress on it like I have been lately, maybe it will be show worthy in a couple years.

Last edited:

tscustoms

Mar 13, 2011
VA

hey man, another couple of questions if ya dont mind.. on the impala rear end did you cut off the tabs on the hog head for the arms? and also, when you got rid of the bed gap, did you just move the bed forward or did you move the cab back as well.

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

hey man, another couple of questions if ya dont mind.. on the impala rear end did you cut off the tabs on the hog head for the arms? and also, when you got rid of the bed gap, did you just move the bed forward or did you move the cab back as well.
no problem. Yeah I had to hack off the factory 4 suspension mounts. They looked ugly and stuck up too far and contacted my bed floor or c notch bridge.

On the bed gap I just moved the bed forward. But keep in mind the frame mounts and everything inside the bed sheetmetal is custom built. Not sure what it would take on something closer to stock.

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

Welded up the LED slots/plate box and sealed up all the bare metal getting boxed in for rust protection.

Got the cali combo and tail light fillers tacked in place. Had to cut section from an old door to get the body line to look right. Next up is getting the LED Caddys installed.

tscustoms

Mar 13, 2011
VA

I'm going to be doing a full frame and a Ned bed floor any how. I've just seen everyone move the cab back to center the front wheels. I just wasn't sure which would be better. I'm assuming you had to change the wheel base didn't ya?

tscustoms

Mar 13, 2011
VA

I've seen a lot of people move the cabs back on a s10. But haven't really seen it done on a full size. I guess if I did move the cab back only thing involved is cab mounts and sectioning the frame horns and possibly steering column. Correct?

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

I've seen a lot of people move the cabs back on a s10. But haven't really seen it done on a full size. I guess if I did move the cab back only thing involved is cab mounts and sectioning the frame horns and possibly steering column. Correct?
Yeah that would work too. Steering column might even have enough flex in it as is.

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

Amazing work! There enough skin on the combo to bring the pan to the bottom of the bed corners?
Thanks. I did have to trim a little of the bedside off when I cut out the welded in rollpan but even without having done that it seems like the skin is a little too narrow. Also I was a little disappointed in how the body lines matched up, I expected more out of a piece from grant kustoms. Unfortunately they are the only company that makes an 88-98 skin with the full lower body line in it (which I had to have).

I am not too worried about the gap in the rollpan to bedside area though as I am going to be doing some sectioning/tucking in that area as well as some exhaust ports.

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

Performed a somewhat old school mod that was common back when the obs first came into the custom scene (or created it I guess). Bed corners were tucked toward the center of the truck 1/2" and forward 1". This brings the the rollpan up about 1" and gives it a nice nipped/tucked look. One of those mods that will probably never be noticed by anyone but me :)

Hope to finish up the other side and get the plate mounted over the next two days. Running out of time to get the body work/primer done before the cold weather hits for good.

Last edited:

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

Other bed corner tucked and plate box cut. Tomorrow I hope to get it all finish welded. Trying to decide if I want to do visible or hidden exhaust tips. Probably be custom making Silverado SS concept style tips if I want them to show. The plate will be curved to match the contour of the rollpan and covered by a flushmount plexi lens.