Project Truck Thread..updated pics as I go

Aug 20, 2002
maine
Re: Project Truck Thread..updated pics as I go

I haven't logged on to this site in years...
It was awesome to log on and see you are still at it Jimmy! It's looking better than ever! Keep it up bro!:worship:

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

This ended up being 10x more work than I anticipated. Fitting the induction pieces between the engine, core support and bumper was pretty tricky.
Pieces all cut out:

forming to the contour of the bumper:

Inner duct in place connecting everything together

Still need to do the final welding and finishing but the hard work is done.

Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
www.allynch.com

Nice work as usual!! Is the ducting made out of aluminum? Were the rectangle stock size ducting or did you make them? Are you going to trim the edge of the cut out in the bumper and turn it in or are you just going to leave it as it is now?

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

Nice work as usual!! Is the ducting made out of aluminum? Were the rectangle stock size ducting or did you make them? Are you going to trim the edge of the cut out in the bumper and turn it in or are you just going to leave it as it is now?
Thanks. Everything is 16 gauge aluminum, 6061 for the pipe, forget the metal grade but it is one of the more common grades. I used a $50 harbor freight bender to make all the rectangle pieces. It worked good enough. I had to bend them myself as I wanted the outside angle to follow the outer bumper angle and the inner angle to follow the inside of the headlight angle.

If you are asking about the bumper edges, they are finished, there is a third duct of steel welded to the bumper to finish the edge and locate the actual aluminum ducting.

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

Formed the fan shroud/mount out of some more 16 gauge aluminum. Stock LS1 f body fans are bolted up. I may add some additional punched/flared holes to the shroud to improve air flow through the radiator at highway speeds. Still working out the radiator hoses, the stock 454SS hoses work but they arent pretty.

Good to see you still plugging away at this, Jimmy. :thumbup:

BTW, I edited the first post of this thread to tie in links to some of your threads on the earlier progress. I just wish all of the photo links still worked. Yours is easily one of, if not the, most complete builds FSC has ever had. It would be cool to be able to look back to the very beginning when it's all said and done.

Last edited:

After rereading the last few posts, I just want to throw this out as food for thought in regards to the bed floor. A wood floor would be cool, but I'm not sure how it would flow with the rest of the truck. Since you're taking retro mods and adding a modern twist, what about polished or brushed aluminum in place of the wood separated by painted ribs?

Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
www.allynch.com

Or maybe carbon fiber planks with chrome ribs.....
After rereading the last few posts, I just want to throw this out as food for thought in regards to the bed floor. A wood floor would be cool, but I'm not sure how it would flow with the rest of the truck. Since you're taking retro mods and adding a modern twist, what about polished or brushed aluminum in place of the wood separated by painted ribs?
Both are great ideas. You could lay up carbon fiber on wood and finish like paint.

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

Good to see you still plugging away at this, Jimmy. :thumbup:

BTW, I edited the first post of this thread to tie in links to some of your threads on the earlier progress. I just wish all of the photo links still worked. Yours is easily one of, if not the, most complete builds FSC has ever had. It would be cool to be able to look back to the very beginning when it's all said and done.
thanks Chuggs, it was good to see the few old pics that are still out there. Since my computer was stolen and my previous web hosting site was taken down I dont have any other pictures beyond this thread.

Your fab skills are awesome! Great looking truck
thanks for the kind words.

"retro mods and adding a modern twist" I like that description.
Sometimes I feel like give the same truck and bucket of cash we would build the exact some truck:) I have looked into building the floor out of aluminum with runner strips on top. I guess I am still debating on how functional I want the bed to be. I had also considered plexiglass or a combination of AL and plexi. Maybe I should wait to see how much aluminum I use under the hood and interior.

Or maybe carbon fiber planks with chrome ribs.....
Both are great ideas. You could lay up carbon fiber on wood and finish like paint.

I have not worked with CF before but I like this idea too. I have heard it is very sensitive to UV rays from the sun, the ZR1 vette has some super expensive clear coat over it to protect it. Even doing it myself it is still a little out of my price range for the raw materials, but I will keep looking. .

Last edited:

thanks Chuggs, it was good to see the few old pics that are still out there. Since my computer was stolen and my previous web hosting site was taken down I dont have any other pictures beyond this thread.
If I can manage to get my computer back up and running (power supply took a crap), I'll see if I can dig anything up. I remember we were going to work on a Tech Article at one point, so I might have them somewhere. File names should be the same.

"retro mods and adding a modern twist" I like that description.
What can I say? It just fits.

Sometimes I feel like give the same truck and bucket of cash we would build the exact some truck:)
I don't care if you have a head start or not. I've been on hold long enough and watched enough slip through my fingers that if this were to happen, I'd have dibs on doing something along the lines of the Budnik nose. :read::lol: Yours is almost done already. :read:

I have looked into building the floor out of aluminum with runner strips on top. I guess I am still debating on how functional I want the bed to be. I had also considered plexiglass or a combination of AL and plexi. Maybe I should wait to see how much aluminum I use under the hood and interior.
I know I've seen some slick variations but again, lost bookmarks and such. I'll see what I can find to help you narrow the brainstorming down. Personally, although the CF sounds cool, I'd skip it unless you plan on incorporating it elsewhere in your truck.

Last edited:

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

, I'd have dibs on doing something along the lines of the Budnik nose. :read::lol:
Speaking of the Budnik truck, one of the shops I follow on instagram just got that truck in for an update. They didnt say what they were doing but I hope they leave the exterior alone. I have somewhat fallen out of love with the escalade front end....the obs isn't as common anymore so the different front end isn't really required to stand out. I am too far on this truck to turn back now but if I was to do it over I would do something along the lines of the budnick front end or a GMC version of it. There was a silver 94-98 GMC obs in Europe back in the day that had shaved the gmc park lights and turn signals and used a single led strip in place....looked really slick.

Nov 7, 2003
Baltimore MD
I've followed your vuild since I joined FSC. Amazed at your level of skill and attn to detail.

Are you talking about the yellow budnik truck? Not a big fan of that front end.

I, too, have lost interest in my Caddy clip... Wish I would've stuck with the Cat Eye I had on it previous to an accident. Can't find that grill to save my life now

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

I've followed your vuild since I joined FSC. Amazed at your level of skill and attn to detail.

Are you talking about the yellow budnik truck? Not a big fan of that front end.

Yes this one:

Got a little done on the bumper to fender transition. I pie cut the bumper ends and pulled them in another inch or so. I am carrying the fender lines down into the bumper a little to help the flow. Tricky part will be getting the bumper cap to match the new bumper contour.