Rack and pinion in an obs?

pavetim

Nov 13, 2009
valdosta, ga
Don't know if it's even possible without major fabrication but was wondering if anybody put a rack and pinion setup in their obs chevy? I'm just looking for a little better steering feel.

Oct 5, 2001
In
ridetech.com
Re: Rack and pinion in an obs?

I would just upgrade the box and get all new ball joints , tie rod ends and bushings. More often than not, people really screw up their front steering by trying to install a rack on something that it was not engineered for. There are these little nuances called proper Ackerman and Bumpsteer....

Dec 3, 2008
Oklahoma

I just went and took a look at my neighbors 93, he has rack and pinion on his, and if I can get some pictures of it when he pulls his motor, I will.
I asked him about bumpsteer, and he said there isn't any at all.

It looked pretty too.

Dec 3, 2008
Oklahoma

It might be a while before I can get pics, but yeah he has an OBS full fize.
It's got 19 wide slicks in the back, fully backhalved. completely built blown 454 with rack and pinion
coil overs in the rear, static dropped in the front I believe, it's sitting at about a 6/8 or so.
It's got a 90's style paint job considering it was built in the 90's

pavetim

Nov 13, 2009
valdosta, ga

You know at least what he used the rack from? You think you can find out for me, i'm really wanting to do it. It really doesn't seem too difficult as long as I pick the right rack unit.

chevbum1

Jul 5, 2009
Elsewhere

Any news on this yet? I have a 94 that I have been trying to get steering better to no avail. Feels like crap. It does not want to center itself from about 1/8th of a turn from either direction. It will keep going in the direction I point it with out holding on to the steering wheel. It requires too much effort to steer and has no on center feel.

Pavetim, does yours feel like this too? Is this normal for these trucks?

I have a new rag joint, ball joints, pitman arm, inspected idler arm and tie rod ends. Swapped original box for a cardone rebuilt unit. Exchanged that for another rebuilt cardone. Now I'm back to a used factory built box. Tried a rebuilt pump. Now with a used factory built pump. Had it aligned. Caster, camber and toe are all well within factory specks. Tires are stock size and properly inflated. I have played with the flow control valve in the pump to change the pressure output, but it makes almost no noticeable difference. I have taken loose every thing and put it back together. Nothing is binding anywhere. The thing only has 80,000 miles on it.

A rack and pinion conversion or a pump and box from a different vehicle is the only thing I know to do next. I love the truck other than the steering. If I cant get it steering properly I will just have to sell it, but I really don't want to.

If this is a normal feel, we need to start up a petition to Flaming River or someone to make a bolt in rack and pinion conversion.

Oct 5, 2004
alaska

Any news on this yet? I have a 94 that I have been trying to get steering better to no avail. Feels like crap. It does not want to center itself from about 1/8th of a turn from either direction. It will keep going in the direction I point it with out holding on to the steering wheel. It requires too much effort to steer and has no on center feel.

I have a new rag joint, ball joints, pitman arm, inspected idler arm and tie rod ends. Swapped original box for a cardone rebuilt unit. Exchanged that for another rebuilt cardone. Now I'm back to a used factory built box. Tried a rebuilt pump. Now with a used factory built pump. Had it aligned. Caster, camber and toe are all well within factory specks. Tires are stock size and properly inflated. I have played with the flow control valve in the pump to change the pressure output, but it makes almost no noticeable difference. I have taken loose every thing and put it back together. Nothing is binding anywhere. The thing only has 80,000 miles on it.

A rack and pinion conversion or a pump and box from a different vehicle is the only thing I know to do next. I love the truck other than the steering. If I cant get it steering properly I will just have to sell it, but I really don't want to.

If this is a normal feel, we need to start up a petition to Flaming River or someone to make a bolt in rack and pinion conversion.
I wouldn't be surprised if Flaming river could get you a custom width setup that you can fab up to work with your truck. Shoot them a detailed e-mail on intentions IMHO. Worth a try.

Tigwldr

Jul 18, 2008
NC

I feel your pain bro. I've been through the same exact thing, replacing my entire front end including my rag joint, steering shaft as well as a new AGR quick ratio box. It feels better but not near as responsive as i would expect after dropping so much into it.
Although, I do have to admit. I just got 4 new tires (yay) and it does feel a little better, not perfect but better. Thats probably because I had 3 different size tires.
I agree with 1Bad, you should definately inquier with FR. If you do please keep us informed.
Thanks

Dec 3, 2008
Oklahoma

Well, what I'm trying to get at. I was just now thinking, and I may be completely wrong.
Do you think, having that large of a side wall, the flex in the sidewall when you turn, do you think that could be the culprit of "loose-ish" steering what so ever.
I may just be sound like a complete idiot, but, to me in my mind seems like that could play a little bitty role in the crime.

Jul 26, 2009
London ON

Big(ish) sidewalls do have a tendency to roll in corners, it's a different feeling than slop in the steering though. I have major slop in my steering (bad idler arm) and can still feel the sidewalls roll on corners :LOL:

Tigwldr

Jul 18, 2008
NC

I dont think anything came form this.

dagen,
No need to remove your post, regardless of how old the thread is.

I am in desperate need of a better steering system. This has been the dark clowd over my head sinse I got my Hoe.

JScott008

Jul 15, 2011
IL

dont know what happened but closest problem to that i ever had was pitman and idler arm. i doubt it would take much work if ya REALLY wanted to change it