Rack and pinion in an obs?

Nov 6, 2009
brlouisiana
Re: Rack and pinion in an obs?

:lol: says the fleet orange 1/4 page sig sporter...

from what i was looking at when i was thinking of attempting this, the obs engine cross member is in a bad location and would need notching along with frame work. i highly doubt a bolt on, or even semi bolt on kit could be made for these trucks but would love someone to prove me wrong.

Nov 24, 2010
Williams Lake, BC!

:lol: says the fleet orange 1/4 page sig sporter...

from what i was looking at when i was thinking of attempting this, the obs engine cross member is in a bad location and would need notching along with frame work. i highly doubt a bolt on, or even semi bolt on kit could be made for these trucks but would love someone to prove me wrong.
:think:

Not fleet orange and well within FSC sig limits...

JScott008

Jul 15, 2011
IL

haha my bad i forgot to edit the pic size. see little better now. but yea this is interesting id like to know what it takes to swap.

Aug 10, 2012
Texas

so 2000 silverado's come with rack and pinion, after core charge you can get a new rack for like 330$. Considering the tie rod ends are adjustable, the width of a 2000 rack and the 88-98 obs shouldn't be an issue. Just the mounting points would have to be fabricated. My steering system with the old power steering pump and steering gear has a lot of play between all of the points of contact. A lot more play towards the passenger wheel. I've replaced the tie rods, all the bushings, idler/pitman arms, only thing I haven't replaced is the gear box and steering shaft itself, but I can see the play coming from the static parts and the gear isn't even moving. I'm pretty committed to converting to rack and pinion, I know you can throw a rack on anything, but I'm wanting to replace a few things on my truck down the road and would hate to create a problem I'll have to do again later. I AM SO TIRED OF CORRECTING MY STEERING WHEN DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD. steering gearboxes suck. I've found plenty of conversion write ups, but I haven't seen any on 2wd c1500's, I'll try it with a 2000 silverado rack here pretty soon. I'll post a write up with parts later.

Jan 24, 2005
Ravenna, Michigan

You are setting yourself up for wicked bump steer if you just plan to toss a random rack in it and adjust the tie rods to get the toe correct.

Your rack need to be the same width or extremely close to the width of the stock center link. If your tie rods are a different length than before its going to do what it wants when the suspension cycles.

DB Rods put a rack on the Red Sled and he said there is no bump steer. But the turning radius is horrible, which is what I've heard from everyone who has installed a rack in something that didn't have it factory.

Nov 19, 2006
Rhode Island

Any news on this yet? I have a 94 that I have been trying to get steering better to no avail. Feels like crap. It does not want to center itself from about 1/8th of a turn from either direction. It will keep going in the direction I point it with out holding on to the steering wheel. It requires too much effort to steer and has no on center feel.

Pavetim, does yours feel like this too? Is this normal for these trucks?

I have a new rag joint, ball joints, pitman arm, inspected idler arm and tie rod ends. Swapped original box for a cardone rebuilt unit. Exchanged that for another rebuilt cardone. Now I'm back to a used factory built box. Tried a rebuilt pump. Now with a used factory built pump. Had it aligned. Caster, camber and toe are all well within factory specks. Tires are stock size and properly inflated. I have played with the flow control valve in the pump to change the pressure output, but it makes almost no noticeable difference. I have taken loose every thing and put it back together. Nothing is binding anywhere. The thing only has 80,000 miles on it.

A rack and pinion conversion or a pump and box from a different vehicle is the only thing I know to do next. I love the truck other than the steering. If I cant get it steering properly I will just have to sell it, but I really don't want to.

If this is a normal feel, we need to start up a petition to Flaming River or someone to make a bolt in rack and pinion conversion.

chevbum - I know this is an old thread, but..... did anything ever come of this? Did you retrofit a rack & pinion into your truck? I have same feelings with my '03 Silverado. Done a lot of messing around with the steering, but it still feels numb.

Anyone got any feedback on rack & pinion conversion????

Thanks, Dave F.

-

redvett01

Mar 25, 2007
MI/AZ

GMT 400 are front steer and most rack & pinion are rear steer, GMT800 4x2 are the first GM trucks to have R&P. Lots of engineering will be required to modify.

Last edited: