Sample Colors Outside of Photoshop!

This is a really cool and handy trick for the eyedropper tool in Photoshop!

Everyone knows that you can use the eyedropper tool to sample a color within Photoshop but you can also sample a color outside of Photoshop.

Select the eyedropper tool and hold down your left mouse button and you can sample a color from any visible area on your computer. Try it, I just learned about it and it really is going to save me some time.

Edit: I just realized that you need to have an image open in Photoshop for this to work. You need to actually click on the image with the eyedropper as if you were gatting a color from the image. The difference is you keep the left mouse button pressed and move it to the area outside of photoshop that has the color you want and then release the mouse button.

lowdown

Last edited:
Re: Sample Colors Outside of Photoshop!

I have been playing with this an found an interesting thing to point out.

If you have tried it and can't get it to work this is probably why.

You have to have an image open in Photoshop, select the eyedropper tool and click on the image as if you were sampling a color from the open image but hold down the left mouse button and move it to the area outside of Photoshop that you want to get the color from.

lowdown

Re: Sample Colors Outside of Photoshop!

arista5 said:
nice ray, i would usually just take a screen shot and sample off that :cool: this definitely cuts out a few steps
That's what I was doing until I found this tip.
It seems like I used it a lot for my chops here to sample the background color in the threads.

lowdown