SBC 24X Conversion Info Wanted.

dfarr67

Oct 16, 2009
Yellowknife
I'm gathering all the parts for a 411 pcm transplant into my 1989 K1500- this is not a LS swap. Currently running a 7747 based EBL with port mod, 385 TPI with 700r4. 24x reluctor from EFI Connection installed and will be using vortec distributer for cam timing. Question is more wiring related regarding AC controls (ecu commanded or separate controller in dash), 700r4 lockup options and VSS type, guages. Have the 411 pcm and truck harness in hand to mod or have you purchased a harness that worked out well- I'm talking to a vender on thirdgen (I don't know how close our wiring is to the f-bodies of this era).

Nov 26, 2006
Chandler, AZ
Re: SBC 24X Conversion Info Wanted.

You have a lot of good questions, but the problem being is that some of them don't have simple answers. Such as for the a/c I would probably utilize the dash controls and then just send a signal to the PCM to let it know to increase the idle. It would be better to have the PCM control it though, but it is more work. I would mod the harness myself instead of paying for one complete, because I like doing that kind of thing and I feel like I have a much better understanding of the vehicle.

Basically some of those questions are more left to preference and expense than hard and fast answers.

Now that I have given you a crappy answer, I would offer a site that has a lot of information so you can make you're own informed decisions. It says LS engine, but it has a lot more information than just LS engines. In fact I know for certain there is an article about EFI connection using the 24x reluctor to run a TPI motor with coil on plug ignition.

http://www.lsenginediy.com/

dfarr67

Oct 16, 2009
Yellowknife

Well, as you said- the answer is more involved than I though at first blush. I had no idea that the converter lock up would be such a hassle among other things. I'm considering leaving the VSS as is and adding a driveline 40 tooth tone ring just for the 411- easier for me as I did a rear disk conversion years ago in which I also added a driveline ebrake- the disk could be notched and a sensor added. I'm hoping by keeping the 7747 that I can leave the cruise control alone. Being Canadian I'm hit twice but the general expense of harnesses and our crappy dollar- the modded harness does look more attractive right now.

Fast305

Jul 14, 2005
Euless, Texas

It is easiest to pickup a used LS harness and modify it for your needs. I am actually now running my Express 5.7L on a 2006 Express 6.0L PCM with the 24x setup. Most of my engine harmess came out of the same 2003 Express. I am running a marine intake with external injectors.

Last edited:

dfarr67

Oct 16, 2009
Yellowknife

Hi Fast, I do have a V6 harness in hand- the cost of the new harness's are higher than anticipated. Did you change out another vehicle to a big block? If you are the guy I sent a message about sourcing a nice plug set for this set up- LS/LT to 90deg plug.