stepsidebowtie's rebuild thread

Re: stepsidebowtie's rebuild thread

prop rod for now.....I think I read somewhere on here about someone using Hyundai Sonata hood struts??? I plan on digging through some bone yards to find a decent e-fan set-up, while I am there, I guess I'll look for some \hood struts.

Feb 5, 2006
Lafayette, La

im using some i got off an old ford bronco aftermarket cowl hood but they dont quite have enough strength or they may just be old so im switching to a set i have laying around off of a ford crown vic.

the reason i was asking is because i have mine mounted in the side of the fenders where the original bolt goes for the hood springs. there is an oval piece that has a bent lip around it that is spot welded to the fender for strength. you cut that out & just sheet metal the inner fender smooth. i would like to do the same but i doubt 16g sheet metal is strong enough to mount to. where did you plan on mounting yours on the fender? if you dont understand what im talking about ill try to get some pics later.

umm.....yeah. I understand. It was just not thought through enough apparently. And I think you are right about 16ga sheet metal not being strong enough to support that hood with struts. SO, I guess prop rod will be my only option. I have several customers with automated lasers. I may just find a long thick hunk of aluminum and have a flamed aluminum prop rod made......Other than a prop rod, I really dont know what my options will be since I cut the spring perches out.

Jer got some stuff undercoated today:

Got the fender done as well......I'll let Jer post pics of he wants to.

Also cleaned up the wifes tahoe.....10 year old paint still looking good.

This is the only thing I like about black paint.....up close if polished and waxed correctly, it looks like a mirror. Hard to tell what color it is if you look towards the back of the tahoe.....But this will be the last black vehicle I EVEr BUY.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2006
Lafayette, La

umm.....yeah. I understand. It was just not thought through enough apparently. And I think you are right about 16ga sheet metal not being strong enough to support that hood with struts. SO, I guess prop rod will be my only option. I have several customers with automated lasers. I may just find a long thick hunk of aluminum and have a flamed aluminum prop rod made......Other than a prop rod, I really dont know what my options will be since I cut the spring perches out.
im still debatting how im going to fit the struts also. thats whats taking so long with this build. im putting wayyy to much thought into everything than just actually getting after it because i don't want anything to look like an after thought. now that i think about it i may go the prop route also. i might make 2 different props. one long just to get the hood opened fully to work and clean the engine bay & a shorter one for shows that just allows you to peek in the engine bay.

im still debatting how im going to fit the struts also. thats whats taking so long with this build. im putting wayyy to much thought into everything than just actually getting after it because i don't want anything to look like an after thought. now that i think about it i may go the prop route also. i might make 2 different props. one long just to get the hood opened fully to work and clean the engine bay & a shorter one for shows that just allows you to peek in the engine bay.
Thats not a bad idea...two prop rods. That is most likely what I will end up doing. I have cleaned up the engine bay as much as I am willing to at this point. I really don't want to worry about fastening struts to freshly painted sheetmetal.