Suburban Assult Vehicle v2 Part: 2

May 14, 2008
medina, ohio
Re: Suburban Assult Vehicle v2 Part: 2

i pulled apart one of the Frankenheims and had the individual parts liquid nitrided. its AMAZING how smooth threads become with this process. the locking rings literally glide over the threaded body. looks like ill be pulling all the suspension joints apart for coating. more work...

Nov 11, 2004
NJ

These pieces look awesome. I've been looking for a way to redo the suspension pieces that have gone to sh*t from the salt

Did the parts in this pic get different nitride coatings? is one just cleared?

Did you have to clean up any surface rust on the parts before hand?

bonedust said:
even better? one of the biggest black nitride coaters in 1/2 mile from my shop
H & M?

May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

These pieces look awesome. I've been looking for a way to redo the suspension pieces that have gone to sh*t from the salt

Did the parts in this pic get different nitride coatings? is one just cleared?

Did you have to clean up any surface rust on the parts before hand?

H & M?
i media blasted everything before coating. we have a blast cabinet for gun refinishing, so i was able to do that. i also wanted to be able to file/grind out any imperfections before coating. they do dip the parts in a hot cleaning solution before coating, but its more of a degreasing process.

i keep saying coating. its not a coating. its a 'process' since it literally soaks into the metal.

the difference in the sheen in that pic is an oil coating. the magic of the nitride is it holds lubrication internally in its structure. its always just a tad oily. the parts are left to cool in an oil bath immediately after being nitrided. the excess leeches out over the next 24 hrs. so, in that pic, one has leeched out and one is still oily.

yes, H&M. one of my good friends heads up their firearm development dept, Rubber City Armory. they have really done alot for me in an effort to reach out to a new market. i think its a no brainer. this stuff is as tought as it gets and just plain works.

Last edited:
May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

awesome truck. what kinda gas mileage are you getting out of curiosity, because my 8.1 only get 10-11 and its on 33's
factory suspension on the 305's i got 13.8 average with 4.10s, intake, headers/exhaust, minor TB work, and a tune built to get decent gas mileage. seems to get around 8mpg now... and i think that will improve slightly with some motor mods i have coming up. not that gas mileage is really a big focus on this project. i could be wrong, but from my conversations with 8.1 owners, the allison trucks seem to not get as good MPG as the 4l80 trucks.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2013
Maryland

thanks, the Allison trucks defiantly dont get as good of mileage, probably because of the huge parasitic loss of power the diesel guys are always complaining about. i would love to one day sas my 8.1 and put it on some 40's

Last edited:
May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

What are the plans for the next step?
-finish painting the frame and nooks and crannys
-pull the headers and exhaust and ceramic coat them
-start fabbing sliders and roof rack
-clean up, button up, and hide a bunch of wiring and plumbing
-address the trans cooling system and improve
-wheel wells

May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

yes, i do, and ive already had a warning about it. i think i have a good solution worked out.

i already have holes in the bumper that do meet legal height requirements (50" to the centerline). my plan is to fab up a bracket that will hold a 7" round jeep after market light in those holes. ive got a set of LED side markers off of a modern military vehicle that ill use also. should keep me legal, safe, and not piss off too many on coming drivers. that will leave my factory headlights pretty much unused...which is a whoooole other project im thinking about.