swapping from a NBS 4.3 to a V8

Apr 10, 2008
Texas
Re: swapping from a NBS 4.3 to a V8

96c15004.3 said:
When you are finished can you tell us approximately how many hours and $$$$ the swap ended up costing you.

Thanks
look at the date of first post. 2005... i bet he could have a different motor in there already.

Jan 13, 2009
brevard county

Dirty 30 said:
Im getting pretty close to getting done with my swap. I think in a couple days it will be done.

Are the rear ends the same???? This question should be added to the main post.

does anyone have any info on this, iknow gears are different based on rpo codes, but is the housing the same size, and is anything in it weaker on the v6 version, looking to go from 4.3 5spd to 5.3 t56. this is the only topic i cant find any info on, so any would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!:think: :think:

olblue067

Jun 25, 2008
Michigan

hey im thinking of doing this same swap in my truck. 4.3 to a LS1 let me know how hard it was
how much you ended up paying for everything?

LoNslow

Jul 23, 2005
PA

Thinking of buying a 93 reg cab shortbed silvy....Its got a V6 in it and I am gonna swap it out for either a 6.0 liter or LS1. I used to own a 02 sierra and was gonna do that before I had to get rid of it. I remember how alot of things were pretty easy for a swap right into the 02 (by the way it was a v8). Now my question is.....how complicated is the 6.0 liter or ls1 swap into a 93? Can someone please tell me what I'd be dealing with here...Would appreciate it greatly

zebra86

May 28, 2009
nas pensacola

Thinking of buying a 93 reg cab shortbed silvy....Its got a V6 in it and I am gonna swap it out for either a 6.0 liter or LS1. I used to own a 02 sierra and was gonna do that before I had to get rid of it. I remember how alot of things were pretty easy for a swap right into the 02 (by the way it was a v8). Now my question is.....how complicated is the 6.0 liter or ls1 swap into a 93? Can someone please tell me what I'd be dealing with here...Would appreciate it greatly
for the OBS to LSX
http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-truck-conversions/9535-obs-lsx-conversion.html

how much total did the swap cost you?
in mine, so far i've spent about $1700 & still expect to spend about $200 more, but mine's a little more involved than most

zebra86

May 28, 2009
nas pensacola

anybody have trouble with the starter not getting power after the swap? i'm thinking it might have something to do with the clutch position sensor, but not sure yet

Nov 14, 2009
Fort Worth, Texas

So, If I have a 02 silverado rcsb 4.3/5spd, I can use that list as a list of all things I would need to swap in a 4.8/5.3 engine?
Only reason is like its stated, so many people say its a pain in the butt and by what was posted in the how to, it does not look that hard. Pretty much just wairing harness,engine,mounts, registers maybe a little light modding to the fuel lines as well....Seems like it could be done in a weekend or less.

doozmista

Aug 8, 2009
San Antonio Texas

the little things bite you in the ass...every time. but I really wanna know if its possible to swap over to a 4.8/5.3 and reuse the stock 5 speed in a 02. i know Im gunna do the swap I just need to know if I have to get a new trans to...I want to keep the standard if possible

zebra86

May 28, 2009
nas pensacola

So, If I have a 02 silverado rcsb 4.3/5spd, I can use that list as a list of all things I would need to swap in a 4.8/5.3 engine?
Only reason is like its stated, so many people say its a pain in the butt and by what was posted in the how to, it does not look that hard. Pretty much just wairing harness,engine,mounts, registers maybe a little light modding to the fuel lines as well....Seems like it could be done in a weekend or less.
it ain't all that hard; just make sure you do your homework.
another great resource for this swap is here.http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/v8-conversions/9345-official-nbs-4-3v6-gen-3-v8-swap-guide.html

seems like somebody's doing one every few weeks

the little things bite you in the ass...every time. but I really wanna know if its possible to swap over to a 4.8/5.3 and reuse the stock 5 speed in a 02. i know Im gunna do the swap I just need to know if I have to get a new trans to...I want to keep the standard if possible
all NV3500s (in the fullsize trucks - MG5) are the same from 93+, so yes, you can reuse it. if you're gonna go through the trouble of a V8 swap, don't bother with the 4.8 - do a 5.3... i've seen a guy do a 6.0, but i'd be too tempted to lay the hammer down & break something. these transmissions are only "rated" for about 300lb-ft of torque. if you're only 2WD and you plan on making some good power, you should also look into a T56 swap.

ps - where'd you get your short throw shifter?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2008
Lubbock, Tx.

I actually had had a question about the wiring. i got a 98 chevy with 4.3 and auto trans, im swapping for a 5.3 with same trans. the motor and trans came with wire harness and computer. my question is do i take the connection that goes into the cab and just connect the 5.3 harness into the cab connection?? Or if not can someone explain to me about this??

millerpro

Apr 23, 2007
Texas

when i tell the salvage yard i need a complete engine, what all should i expect to get? this is for a swap from a 4.3 to a 5.3

zebra86

May 28, 2009
nas pensacola

you can reuse your starter & power steering pump if you want to.

and for the complete engine, make sure you get the complete intake, all sensors, coil packs, exhaust manifolds (unless you're getting headers), flexplate, etc