The never ending build of my 2014 silverado

Jun 6, 2006
kelowna, bc, canada
hey guys

well, it finally happened - i had to get a 'new' truck. this truck was bought out of need, not want. i still absolutely LOVE my '89 stepside but now that my wife and i have 2 kids the ol' two-seater was a little impractical. oh and i'm not selling my '89 (not a chance!!).

i needed a new truck by september of this year (so i still had 2.5 months to find the truck i wanted). i searched a lot online and did find 2 trucks that had all the "needs this" boxes checked, but they were quite a distance away (the closest truck was about 5 hours away). two weekends ago i went into the local chev dealership and basically started with, "look, i'm not buying a truck today. i just want to give you my name and number and what i want and you can give me a call if you get something in that's close." after telling the salesman exactly what i wanted he motioned to a truck on the lot and said, "what about that one?" it had pretty much everything (plus more) on my list. i asked him, "when did you get that one in?" and he said, "yesterday." ... so they hadn't updated their webpage yet. crap... i AM buying a truck today!!!

2014 silverado SLZ Z71. 5.3l v8

the truck was in fantastic shape. we got into the cab and it was spotless. the salesman mentioned that they had not had time to detail the interior (since they only got the truck the day before) and i asked him why bother? it was sooo clean. the previous owner took good care of it.

i haven't had a lot of time to do stuff.... yet

after getting it home:

so the first thing i (we) did was go and buy another baby seat... i know... totally exciting! ha! ha!

then i got the back windows (driver/passenger sides + back window) blacked out. they had stock tint on them already and then i added more tint right over top. a couple of other minor things like new wiper blades and new lamps for the headlights (i found the stock ones very yellow - so i got an upgraded version of what i have in my '89). they are brighter and more white. i also picked up a locking fuel cap.

the next thing was to change up some colours with plasti dip. emblems to black, the chrome guards on the doors to black and the grey piece of plastic that is on the front of the truck on either side of the front license plate/below the recovery hooks (why is this piece grey?? it make no sense!)

this was my first time ever using plasti dip and honestly, i was impressed. i'm really happy with the results....

the next thing that's happening is it's going up... rough country 7.5" suspension lift. that happens early next week. to save money i'm going to be basically doing a rim/tire swap with my trucks. the '89 is getting what is currently on the '14 and the '14 is getting what is on my '89....

once the weather gets cold i'm putting 33" winter tires on the stock '14 rims and then that's what i'll use on the 2014 over the winter

once the lift and tires are on it will get an undercoating, then i'll need to take a break for a bit to let the bank account recover a bit, but i already have a "to do" list....

tonneau cover (that will actually be sooner than later)
weather tech floor mats (front and back)
AMP power step running boards
k&n air filter/intake kit
new exhaust
mud flaps

eventually stuff like after market headlights, smoked led tail lights and a led third brake light. those will be a bit though since they are pretty pricey and honestly, the stock stuff still looks pretty sweet.

i'll add pics next week once the lift is done

**oh - i do want to add... i felt kinda weird starting a build thread for a 2014 silverado since almost all the threads here are for trucks 15+ years old, but i figured you might like to see what i'm doing with the new ride

Jan 13, 2010
Greens Fork, IN
Re: The never ending build of my 2014 silverado

Nice truck. Looking forward to seeing it lifted. I have a 2016 Silverado and I've also noticed there aren't many 2014+ trucks on here.

chevychris

Jun 6, 2006
kelowna, bc, canada

thanks guys

ok - so here it is - i picked it up this afternoon so no time yet to do a proper photo shoot but this will give you a good idea.

rough country 7.5" suspension lift with 35" bfg muds

my wife said i have to wait for a bit before i get the amp power steps.... but she hasn't tried to get into it yet! ha!

i love the look - so i'm very happy!!

Jan 13, 2010
Greens Fork, IN

Looks great!
I've never had steps on a truck until my '16. It came with the factory nerf bars. They really help the edge of the seats from wear by not sliding across them to get in and out. The first time your wife forgets the ground is farther away and falls out of the truck, you'll get the go-ahead for steps.

chevychris

Jun 6, 2006
kelowna, bc, canada

i want to add a bunch of blue LED lights to the interior of my truck, but what was bugging me was what to do about the stock cabin lights

i'm sure there is likely some way to change the stock whites to blue, but i don't have a clue how and honestly, i don't want to mess up the stock lights becuz i'm sure they are a pretty penny to replace. so i got to thinking, 'i wonder if i can just use a blue 'gel' (the stuff they use to colour white spotlights) to make the white blue?' - the answer was YES!

i absolutely LOVE the blue light - i think it looks soooo good! and the best part was becuz i already had the blue gel it cost me nothing!

i will be adding foot lighting and some other interior lighting in the next month or so

chevychris

Jun 6, 2006
kelowna, bc, canada

i had the privilege of being justin schultz's photographer for his day with the stanley cup a little over a week ago.

i couldn't pass up a chance for a pic with the cup and my truck - 'stan' called shotgun!!

[/url]IMG_9434 by bc-chris[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_9431 by bc-chris[/IMG]

another thing i couldn't pass up was a chance to take a sip from the cup....

[/url]IMG_8674 by bc-chris[/IMG]

what an unreal day

chevychris

Jun 6, 2006
kelowna, bc, canada

I needed to turn my brain off for a bit this afternoon so it was time for some truck therapy

I’ve been wanting to try to ‘blue’ my interior control panels for a while – I had time to work on the driver’s side doors (front & back) and I think it looks unreal!!

i still need to do dash, center console, steering wheel, overhead console, passenger side

all the controls used to be the standard stock white – I just used a blue ‘spot light gel’ over the white LEDs (that’s the same thin plastic film i used to colour my cabin lights)!

I had to take the interior door panel off of the front driver’s door to get to one piece, but it wasn’t too bad. I’m a little nervous about working on the steering wheel buttons as I don’t want to deploy the airbag. apparently if you disconnect the battery and the airbag fuse I ‘should’ be fine! ha! might need to talk to the local chev dealership about that beforehand, just to make sure!

so good old stock white (this is the passenger door, but you get the idea)

and the front driver's side with the blue gels added...

and the rear door on the driver's side (this one was easy.... i did it first! :cool: )

i can't wait to get the rest done!!!

then i'll be adding a bunch of blue footwell lighting and some blue light in a couple of the storage areas

chevychris

Jun 6, 2006
kelowna, bc, canada

i was able to get the passenger side doors and rear dome light buttons done last night as well as the first bit of knobs on the dash

the stuff on the dash is definitely more tricky to do, but looks soooo good....

Jun 6, 2006
kelowna, bc, canada

so the 'blue-ing' of my interior is getting there....

i installed my speedo inlays from us-speedo. i LOVE them - they look soooo good!!

there are a couple of things that need to change...

1 - the black part behind the tach is wrong. when things 'light up' they are not correct (head lights are on but the abs logo is illuminated). it looks like the black part is from the speedo inlay instead of the tach inlay - it's likely just the wrong back part got grabbed during assembly. i'm not too concerned. i emailed us-speedo over the weekend and i'm sure they'll send out a correct tach inlay right away (they've been great to deal with so far)

you can see below that something is definitely not right with the black part on the us-speedo inlay

2 - i need to remove the stock red LEDs behind the needles - they don't really illuminate the needles at all and i think the red looks goofy since everything else is blue. i'll be ordering both blue and white LEDs. i'll put blue in first. if they don't cut it then i change them to white

so here is the dash (i did paint the plate that shows voltage/temp/gas/oil pressure and i painted all the needles)... day and night shots....

and i continued to blue my interior buttons/knobs

the only 'blue-ing' left to do for buttons/knobs are my controls in the steering wheel and the 3 white LEDs in the rear view mirror

i'm really liking how it looks and can hardly wait to start adding footwell lighting and some other lighting accents

Jun 6, 2006
kelowna, bc, canada

so i already heard back from us speedo....

Hey Chris,

So I had my parts guy take a look at your pic and it didn't take long for us to realize he accidently sent you a speedo colorband instead of a tach colorband. Which is why it has all the wrong icons. Now some of the icons we make look a little different but they mean the same thing, mainly the brake icon. Ours just says "brake" on it instead of the actual icon. But other than that you should be all set. We'll send the right one out today.

Go ahead and just keep the other one and show it off to a friend :)) haha

Ty
US Speedo

like i mentioned before - a great company to deal with.

if anyone wants stuff like this contact Ty!
tyler@usspeedo.com

chevychris

Jun 6, 2006
kelowna, bc, canada

plasti dipped the silverado text on the doors and tailgate, as well as the 'ltz' on the tailgate and the red "z" on the z71 emblem on the grille

and i did black vinyl on the bowtie logo on the steering wheel

Last edited:

chevychris

Jun 6, 2006
kelowna, bc, canada

next was to make plugs for the frame cross member pipes - total props to HoosierZ for doing a 'how to'. mine are a little different - i used a bolt, but design/idea was his