The never ending build of my '89 stepside

May 13, 2012
JBER, AK
Re: The never ending build of my '89 stepside

haha well I am hoping that is the route we take! If not, I am going to have to drive my 72 King Cobra thats sitting back home, or my El Camino. She hates em both haha

Jun 26, 2012
Idiocracy, USA

Haven't heard anything in awhile. Any updates? I have some questions about raptor-ing the bed. I'm going to do mine (and some other pieces, next weekend 5/4). Any tips?

Jun 6, 2006
kelowna, bc, canada

any updates.... yup... there was a pretty big update a month and a half ago that has been occupying a lot of my (and my wife's) time....

we now have a beautiful baby girl named jordan anne... our first child! i've seen her eying up my truck a couple times and have had to remind her that i've had that baby since 1997! ha! ha!

i actually do have a bunch of truck updates that i want to get pictures of, but as you can tell life's been a little crazy.

i'm hoping to get out this week a take some pics

what kinds of questions do you have about the raptor system? i found it works really well - but as with anything, prep is key!!!!

tips...
1 - as mentioned - prep! prep! prep!
2 - make sure you're in a well ventilated area. i did mine outside and it was still nasty. i can't imagine doing it inside unless you have a full mask on
3 - long even passes with the gun to get a nice application
4 - i was right inside my box when i sprayed it and then got out and back in... don't do that. the spray is sticky and i tracked stuff into the box on the bottom of my shoes
5 - wear gloves!!!!!!

any other questions? just ask away!

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2012
Idiocracy, USA

That's awesome man! CONGRATS!! My babies have either 4 legs or tires each. So I have no idea what it's like, but imagine your busy.

How much/hard do I need to sand the bed. Of course, I'll address any surface rust. It's under a bedliner now, so I don't know what I'll find, but it was painted in Sept '11. Can I just scuff pad the clear good? Or about what grit to use? I was thinking of using my pneumatic boardsander if I need to.

I used Rustoleum acid etch primer rattle-can on the rail caps (that are sitting in the shed). I was thinking of using it again on the truck bare spots, unless you have any strong objections. What did you use, #8?

What air pressure did you run your compressor at?

I want to line it down to the top "body line" on the bed (further down the bedside than most). Should I build up the tape on that edge, or feather out the spray? I would like a rounded edge that wouldn't grab.

I bought 2 kits, and want it to end up thick (plus, cover my headache rack). So, I'll be doing additional coats in the bed. Can I step on it (with plastic down) after an hour (like it says to wait between coats). Or, how should I address this issue?

I have other questions (last minute worries), but can't think of them right now. Can't wait to see what you've been up to on your "first baby." Congrats again!

Jun 6, 2006
kelowna, bc, canada

^^ thanks

sanding - you don't have to go crazy - i think i used a 100 or 150 grit sandpaper - you just want to give the surface a nice scuff so the bed liner can adhere to it. i used a small palm sander to help speed things along and then by hand in the tougher to get to places. i would definitely get rid of any rust.

I used Rustoleum acid etch primer rattle-can on the rail caps (that are sitting in the shed). I was thinking of using it again on the truck bare spots, unless you have any strong objections. What did you use, #8?
^^i'm not sure what you are referring to with what i used. i did use a black trim paint on some of my parts - but it was nothing special. i raptored my bed rails

air pressure - shoot... i don't remember. i know the pressure you use will determine the 'finish'. the lower the pressure the more 'chunky' the finish. the higher the pressure the more 'smooth' the finish. i started on the inside of my tailgate first to get the right pressure. i know i didn't have to majorly adjust it though. if i was to guess, i probably used around 50psi

the top body line - yes - i would recommend taping it off. the stuff pretty much goes where you want it, but trying to get a nice edge without tape would be brutal.... so in my mind, 'feathering it out' wouldn't work too well. what do you mean by
I would like a rounded edge that wouldn't grab.
??

for it thick in the bed... it is pretty much 'dry' in an hour. instead of walking in the bed are you able to use a step ladder from the outside of your truck and just spray in the extra... that's what i did with my extra as i didn't want to walk in the bed. also - for the headache rack, i'd recommend removing it from your truck to spray it - it will just make life easy!!

i hope my answers have helped

Jun 26, 2012
Idiocracy, USA

^^i'm not sure what you are referring to with what i used.
For etching primer on bare metal spots. U-pol has one called #8, that they recommend. It's just expensive and doesn't cover much.

the top body line - yes - i would recommend taping it off.

for it thick in the bed... it is pretty much 'dry' in an hour. instead of walking in the bed are you able to use a step ladder from the outside of your truck and just spray in the extra... that's what i did with my extra as i didn't want to walk in the bed. also - for the headache rack, i'd recommend removing it from your truck to spray it - it will just make life easy!!
Definitely will tape and drape everything! This stuff carries worse than anything I've ever used. I was talking about the edge of the raptor (I want it to be a smooth round edge to the paint), but think I figured it out. Headache rack's definitely coming out. Everything else is out, except the liner. I can use ladders to spray it, thanks!

Jun 6, 2006
kelowna, bc, canada

for bare metal... i didn't really go down to bare metal... just scuffed up the clear coat more than anything. i did have a little bare metal (no huge areas... more just where i had some nice scratches in my box) - i didn't really worry about it... just sprayed the linear right over it. so far so good!

**don't forget to plug any holes (drainage/bolt) with paper or tape them off. my dad helped me and was asking me 'what the heck i was doing?' shoving chunks of paper in a bunch of the holes. i don't think he realized how good this stuff covers/sticks! ha! ha!

i had never really done anything like this before and found it fairly easy - nothing too complicated

Feb 7, 2005
Fresno, CA

Congratulations on your little girl! You have done awesome customizing to your 89 stepside truck. It is the best write-up with photos I have seen on FSC!!! When you have time, keep posting updates! But remember, your little bundle of joy and family comes first.

Jan 15, 2011
Greenville, SC

Just read through the entire thread and my hats off to you. That has to be one of the cleanest 89's out there! Thanks for taking us on the journey with you!!!!

chevychris

Jun 6, 2006
kelowna, bc, canada

hey guys

thanks for the compliments - much appreciated

well, i had a chance to wash my truck and then polish the rims (holy crap that took forever!! i miss my old rims, there wasn't as many places for dirt to hide!)

anyways - onto some pics......

i got new trim from lmc and then added the stainless trim down on the rockers

i took off the stock antenna and replaced it with a stubby one....

as a joke i replaced the '1500' markers with '2500' :rocking:

my nice shiney rims.....

and an interior pic....

stuff still to come....
a pic of my little girl 'behind the wheel' (that's going to be funny.... just hoping she can stay upright long enough so i can get my pic.... it's tough when you're only 12 weeks old to not tip over! ha!)
install the new grille that's sitting in my garage
install a colour matched bowtie on the new grille
new custom exhaust
i need to get a custom piece made for the front of the ram air hood. the hood came with a really cheesey plastic piece that i don't want to use. i'm going to get a piece of stainless steel cut with the same pattern that is in my grille inserts. i've got the file made up, just have to get down to the metal fab place...

that's about it for now. eventually i'd like to add some crazy train horn, but that's down the road a bit! ha! ha!

Jun 6, 2006
kelowna, bc, canada

thanks maddmax

so being that today was my first father's day being a dad i thought i'd make some fun memories with Jordan. nothing like a little father-daughter time....

and a little update on my truck - got some new bulbs for my headlights - nothing crazy, but they are definitely brighter than before! :scared:

chevychris

Jun 6, 2006
kelowna, bc, canada

thanks guys

ok - i just found one of the next mods i'll be doing to my truck.... dakota digital has just released a new dash for 88-94 chevy's. they look AWESOME!!!!!!

here are some pics.....

the only thing that i need to confirm with them is that they make it with a canadian disply (km//hr, celsius, etc)

here's the link....

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....ategory_id=-1/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd911.htm

May 16, 2009
Arizona

thanks maddmax

so being that today was my first father's day being a dad i thought i'd make some fun memories with Jordan. nothing like a little father-daughter time....

and a little update on my truck - got some new bulbs for my headlights - nothing crazy, but they are definitely brighter than before! :scared:[/QUOTE0]

Very Cute! But I don't see the car seat attachment!!:rolleyes:
Craig