"Updating" the Truck suspension

Sep 8, 2013
Belvidere, NC
Well....i dont really have a need for a truck that can tow....i just need a truck that can go......

that being said id like to get rid of the leaf springs in the back of the truck to coils like the maros and vettes and all other vehicles have now.

Yes im going to be lowering the truck a little bit.(please dont hate me, most of the guys around here would think im retarded b/c i dont have a 6'' lift and huge ass tires so i can go get stuck in mud or some BS)

The end goal would be for the truck to hold its own on a road course, or autocross, and just be a better handling vehicle altogether.

So my question is how should i go about converting the truck to coils?

Also do the same companies that make springs/shocks/other suspension parts for the f-bodies make parts that fit the trucks?

ex. Hawks, Sam Strano, BMR

Im sorry if there is already a thread on this, i looked but didnt see one that was still active. On other sites admins get mad when you open a dead thread so i started this.

Ill start googling allot when i actually get to work on the truck, so dont worry ill try not to have too many noobish questions.

*edit: truck is a 1993 5.7 silverado 2wd single cab longbed

Last edited:

brocks97

Jun 18, 2013
Tyler, Texas
Re: "Updating" the Truck suspension

try spohn performance, I haven't looked at his truck parts (if any) but he probably does and he makes excelent parts.

You could use a trangulated 4 link with a coilover setp but you would need relocate your fuel tank to do this. or you could put a crossmember in the frame, then put a single upper control arm in (like the new mustangs) with a lower control arm setup and then run coil overs this way you wouldn't have to relocate the fuel tank. Both would need a device to locate the rear side to side such as a watts link, or panhard bar.

neither of these setups would be good for hauling loads which is probably why you don't see this in a truck.

Just a couple of ideas for you.

chopnspray

Sep 5, 2009
new jersey
Re: "Updating" the Truck suspension

Go in the projects section and look at big red whitey burnt to the ground his truck gets autocrossed and has a nice coilover setup in the rear.