What does $2400 look like?

Jan 13, 2011
Social Circle, GA
Re: What does $2400 look like?

a hobby is great, i just cannot justify paying 6500 on a hobby, when i could pay rent for almost a year for the same money, didnt mean to offend anyone, just saying that for that much money, id want more then a part of a camera

Jul 28, 2008
Norman, Oklahoma

a hobby is great, i just cannot justify paying 6500 on a hobby, when i could pay rent for almost a year for the same money, didnt mean to offend anyone, just saying that for that much money, id want more then a part of a camera

Lotta people can't justify money in modifying a vehicle.

All hobbies are expensive, its worse if you have multiple hobbies.

Jul 31, 2003
Dallas, GA

Funny this thread came back to life... This past weekend I picked up a Nikon D3100 with the 18-55 VR and the 55-200 VR lenses. It will be fun to figure it all out....:assclown:

Wanted this for my daughters gymnastic competitions.

Aug 2, 2007
Cochran, GA

I tend to spend more on camera equipment than the typical hobbyist since this is my job.

*e-pimping*

Here's about $15k in equipment. Not all of it is mine. I met up with some photographer friends at Barber Motorsports Park last weekend.

... and a $7000 lens that I rented for Sebring.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2007
Cochran, GA

The price has to do with the focal length and clarity.

The 500mm that I posted allows me to be anywhere from 200-300 feet away and still have the subject (in my case, a car) fill the frame. If I were to use a regular consumer lens at that distance, the image would be fuzzy and the subject wouldn't be tack sharp.

In English, it allows me to be where I need to be at the road course so I can get shots like this:

Last edited:

custm2500

Sep 14, 2008
Ohio

I am amzed at the ignorance in this thread. I don't think people understand that each lens has it's own purpose. Short, long, differant effects. There is no such thing as a cheap hobby and apparently a few people don't understand that yet. Cameras, paintball guns, trucks, cars, any of these can cost into the thousands in a heart beat if you want anything better the stock and bottom of the line.

Long lens aren't just about pictures of bugs from a mile away. It could be the cars the the OP posted, players at a sports game. Your kids at a performance. I would love to buy a DSL camera but can't afford a camera and base lens. Let alone any extra lenses or bells and wisles.

I am amzed at the ignorance in this thread. I don't think people understand that each lens has it's own purpose. Short, long, differant effects. There is no such thing as a cheap hobby and apparently a few people don't understand that yet. Cameras, paintball guns, trucks, cars, any of these can cost into the thousands in a heart beat if you want anything better the stock and bottom of the line.

Long lens aren't just about pictures of bugs from a mile away. It could be the cars the the OP posted, players at a sports game. Your kids at a performance. I would love to buy a DSL camera but can't afford a camera and base lens. Let alone any extra lenses or bells and wisles.
The average consumer really does have no clue. When it comes to cameras, they're mostly concerned with how many megapixels it has and how many x's the zoom is. My 40D is a 10 megapixel DSLR. My biggest lens for it is a 28-135, or about 4.8x in P&S terms. The average person would look at those numbers and say that my wife's SX130 is a better camera because it's 12 megapixels and 12x zoom. They just don't get that you're not going to get the same quality from a do-everything lens and small sensor of a P&S.

I only have 3 lenses for my DSLR. They're good lenses and they take great pictures, but they're all budget lenses. One of these days I'd love to be able to afford some really good glass. But I'm dirt poor right now and am lucky to have the setup I have, so I'll have to live with it.

Oct 2, 2006
Central NC

I think most people understand that hobbies are expensive, but 1 lens= 2400 bucks............not a hobby in price range.

Oct 18, 2009
Newton, NJ

I think most people understand that hobbies are expensive, but 1 lens= 2400 bucks............not a hobby in price range.
Maybe not in your price range, but in a fair amount of pro photographers range.

The price range is targeted to the type of user that will be using it. Gotta spend big money for quality. :read:

Aug 21, 2010
Goodspring, TN

The price range is targeted to the type of user that will be using it. Gotta spend big money for quality. :read:
Maybe my definition of hobby is different than yours, but when I think of hobby, I don't think of a professional, I think of someone that does something on the side because they enjoy it. For a pro, yeah $2400 for a lens is an investment in job security, for a hobbyist, $2400 for a lens is crazy IMHO.

Maybe my definition of hobby is different than yours, but when I think of hobby, I don't think of a professional, I think of someone that does something on the side because they enjoy it. For a pro, yeah $2400 for a lens is an investment in job security, for a hobbyist, $2400 for a lens is crazy IMHO.
It's purely a hobby for me and if I had the money, I wouldn't think twice about dropping $2400 on a lens.

Oct 2, 2006
Central NC

I agree with this....

And this as well....a hobby isnt something you make money off of, its something you do for fun as a release for everyday life, for me at least. I agree there are expensive hobbies and imo, besides being a drug addict, this is probably the most expensive.

Oct 18, 2009
Newton, NJ

From Dictionary.com;

Hobby; an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation

---------

Doesn't matter what the price range is, a hobby is a hobby. If I had the money, I'd buy a $2400 lens in a heartbeat.

I agree with this....

And this as well....a hobby isnt something you make money off of, its something you do for fun as a release for everyday life, for me at least. I agree there are expensive hobbies and imo, besides being a drug addict, this is probably the most expensive.
Exactly.

But there are more expensive hobbies I would think. Building high end computers, that can cost 3,000+ depending on how crazy you go. Car collecter?

I'm sure there's others, but I can't think of them at the moment :lol:

Aug 2, 2007
Cochran, GA

I consider myself a hobbyist...