What does $2400 look like?

custm2500

Sep 14, 2008
Ohio
Re: What does $2400 look like?

The average consumer really does have no clue. When it comes to cameras, they're mostly concerned with how many megapixels it has and how many x's the zoom is. My 40D is a 10 megapixel DSLR. My biggest lens for it is a 28-135, or about 4.8x in P&S terms. The average person would look at those numbers and say that my wife's SX130 is a better camera because it's 12 megapixels and 12x zoom. They just don't get that you're not going to get the same quality from a do-everything lens and small sensor of a P&S.

I only have 3 lenses for my DSLR. They're good lenses and they take great pictures, but they're all budget lenses. One of these days I'd love to be able to afford some really good glass. But I'm dirt poor right now and am lucky to have the setup I have, so I'll have to live with it.
I am don't know a ton about cameras or photography but I guess I know and understand more then the average consumer. I don't think I would ever be into it enough for $2400 for one lens but I would love to have $1000 or so for a camera and 2 nice lenses. For now it is the crappy kodak P&S I bought the old lady.

I am don't know a ton about cameras or photography but I guess I know and understand more then the average consumer. I don't think I would ever be into it enough for $2400 for one lens but I would love to have $1000 or so for a camera and 2 nice lenses. For now it is the crappy kodak P&S I bought the old lady.
Hell, $1,000 would have barely bought my camera body alone when I got it. That's right at the going price for the current version of my body. When you figure all of my DSLR equipment; body, lenses, memory cards, batteries, tripod, backpack, etc., I'm probably close to $2,000. My setup is far from exceptional and I am far from satisfied with it. It's good stuff and does a good job for me, but there is so much more that I want to be able to do that I just can't in certain situations. Besides a wishlist of lenses, something I really want is a good light. For the Canon 430EX II that I'd like, you're talking about $350. For the 580 that I really want, you're talking about another $100.

Once you get into the DSLR world, things can get really expensive in a hurry. Good lenses aren't cheap. A cheap lens can easily cost as much as a high-end P&S. You can get a DSLR kit with a body and lens for $600-1,000, but that's just the beginning. If I were going to buy my 3 mediocre lenses today, I would need close to $900. Figure the current model of my camera body and all the other gear, and my current replacement value is probably $2300-2400 or so.

I'm so broke right now that it's not even funny, but I look over my photography wishlist and just picking 2 or 3 things that I really want could run several grand. This is purely just a hobby for me. Very few people ever see my best work and I have no grand goal of making money off of it, but if I had the disposable cash to spend on it, I wouldn't think twice about dropping a few g's every now and then on new equipment. I wouldn't even blink.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
Norman, Oklahoma

Hell, $1,000 would have barely bought my camera body alone when I got it. That's right at the going price for the current version of my body. When you figure all of my DSLR equipment; body, lenses, memory cards, batteries, tripod, backpack, etc., I'm probably close to $2,000. My setup is far from exceptional and I am far from satisfied with it. It's good stuff and does a good job for me, but there is so much more that I want to be able to do that I just can't in certain situations. Besides a wishlist of lenses, something I really want is a good light. For the Canon 430EX II that I'd like, you're talking about $350. For the 580 that I really want, you're talking about another $100.

Once you get into the DSLR world, things can get really expensive in a hurry. Good lenses aren't cheap. A cheap lens can easily cost as much as a high-end P&S. You can get a DSLR kit with a body and lens for $600-1,000, but that's just the beginning. If I were going to buy my 3 mediocre lenses today, I would need close to $900. Figure the current model of my camera body and all the other gear, and my current replacement value is probably $2300-2400 or so.

I'm so broke right now that it's not even funny, but I look over my photography wishlist and just picking 2 or 3 things that I really want could run several grand. This is purely just a hobby for me. Very few people ever see my best work and I have no grand goal of making money off of it, but if I had the disposable cash to spend on it, I wouldn't think twice about dropping a few g's every now and then on new equipment. I wouldn't even blink.
My nicest lens I own was 700ish...(efs 15-85)

I'd say its was a great improvement over the kit lens. I got a 430EXII it was well worth the price. Also have a really nice heavy duty carbon fiber tripod.

Jan 29, 2005
Indianapolis, IN

My nicest lens I own was 700ish...(efs 15-85)

I'd say its was a great improvement over the kit lens. I got a 430EXII it was well worth the price. Also have a really nice heavy duty carbon fiber tripod.
What's sad is my nicest is my least practical (until car show season) EF-S 10-22. I admittedly haven't utilized, or really even learned how to fully use my 403EXII.

Aug 20, 2001
nebraska
www.cardomain.com

I dropped like 700-800 a while back on my everyday lense 15-85. They make a hell of a difference, wish i could afford a big ol zoom. Just put on a battery grip loaded up too. Expensive hobby but its fun.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2010
South GA

Old friend of mine has a canon she paid over 5g for plus a few long azz lenses and remote, stands and light controls for it. I don't know anything about them.. But i still have yet to see a picture/poster or even a T.V. that could come even close to the quality her camera has. Takes perfect pics, no blur on movements, and it takes em as fast as you can move your finger lol.. Shes big into skateboarding and BMX pics. Does wedding pics to pay for the hobby. When she first told me how much the stuff cost, i thought she was freaken bonkers. But after seeing pics she done at a car show.. I can understand the price for quality. It pays off if its what your into.

...and it takes em as fast as you can move your finger lol...
No, it'll take them faster than you can move your finger. Most point & shoot cameras these days are available with a burst mode where you can just hold your finger down on the shutter button and it'll keep snapping pics, but when you get into the more expensive DSLRs the burst mode can be incredibly fast. My DSLR has 2 burst mode settings. On the fastest setting, I can snap off about 6 shots a second. I'll have it on and sometimes forget about it and be trying to take a single shot. When I do that, a single press-and-release of the shutter button gets me 2-3 shots. :lol:

Sep 13, 2010
South GA

Probably does..lol, i never watched her use it. Just thought the pics were awesome and worth the price :) Id love to just have a Canon period.. lol

Jan 29, 2005
Indianapolis, IN

...no blur on movements... .
Not to be picky, but because it's my nature, this has nothing to do with the camera. If it's a camera, especially a DSLR worth its salt, the second you press the shutter you should have a shutter actuation at whatever the prescribed exposure is. If the operator happens to move in that time frame, well that's completely different.

Jan 29, 2005
Indianapolis, IN

...no blur on movements... .
Not to be picky, but because it's my nature, this has nothing to do with the camera. If it's a camera, especially a DSLR worth its salt, the second you press the shutter you should have a shutter actuation at whatever the prescribed exposure is. If the operator happens to move in that time frame, well that's completely different.

This is true too.

custm2500

Sep 14, 2008
Ohio

I understand $1000 wont get me too far in the DSLR world but it would be a big step above the $250 P&S I bought for my girlfriend 2 years ago.

Two reasons I don't buy a new camera, one the initial cost. And two I know once I start I wouldn't want to stop.

Jul 31, 2003
Dallas, GA

I am by no means an expert on camera's. But I just picked up a Nikon D3100, with both a 18-55VR and 55-200VR lenses. Top of the line, no, but so far I have no complaints. Needed something better than the P&S 12 megapixle Olympus I was using to shoot my daughter's gymnastics competitions.